Re: htdig: Why two files? header.html and footer.html

Marjolein Katsma (webmaster@javawoman.com)
Wed, 06 Jan 1999 06:46:17 +0100

At 19:12 1999-01-05 -0500, Geoff Hutchison wrote:
>At 4:15 PM -0500 1/5/99, Rodger Zeisler wrote:
>>Instead of two separate html files (header.html and footer.html) to build
>>the top and bottom of the search results page, have you considered using a
>>keyword for the result set and using a single html page for the results
>>(like you do with nomatch.html and syntax.html)?
>
>Yes, but then you can't customize the format of the results. As it stands,
>there are actually *three* separate html files, including header, footer
>and the results template. For the standard "long" and "short" types, the
>template is built in to htsearch. For example, I have a "wso.html" that
>overrides the standard long results.

Not necessarily; you could have a "main" results page with in the middle
one keyword that selects between 'short', 'normal' and 'detailed' result
sets. (Is that what Rodger means?)

You'd still need to have three different templates for the results though -
I'm not sure having one instead of two would really help.

>>With a single page for results, it wouldn't require me to manually split an
>>html page that I have created with an html editor before I can use it. With
>>nomatch.html and syntax.html, I can create these with an html editor and use
>>them just as they are.
>
>True, but in order to support the significant control we have now, we'd
>have to make a more complex template system.

I like the control there is now; I was able to make a nice design that
completely fits in with the rest of my site design.

One suggestion though: there is also a hidden built-in error page. It would
be nice if that could be customized as well.