Re: htdig: Why two files? header.html and footer.html

Tue, 5 Jan 1999 19:12:31 -0500

At 4:15 PM -0500 1/5/99, Rodger Zeisler wrote:
>Instead of two separate html files (header.html and footer.html) to build
>the top and bottom of the search results page, have you considered using a
>keyword for the result set and using a single html page for the results
>(like you do with nomatch.html and syntax.html)?

Yes, but then you can't customize the format of the results. As it stands,
there are actually *three* separate html files, including header, footer
and the results template. For the standard "long" and "short" types, the
template is built in to htsearch. For example, I have a "wso.html" that
overrides the standard long results.

>With a single page for results, it wouldn't require me to manually split an
>html page that I have created with an html editor before I can use it. With
>nomatch.html and syntax.html, I can create these with an html editor and use
>them just as they are.

True, but in order to support the significant control we have now, we'd
have to make a more complex template system.