Re: htdig: Regular expressions in "exclude"? Really? (v3.1.0b4)

Mon, 4 Jan 1999 21:17:51 -0500

At 2:58 PM -0500 1/4/99, Gunnar Helliesen wrote:
>OK, after reading this I upgraded to version 3.1.0b4 today. "exclude"
>now works, but not with regular expressions. I can get htsearch to
>exclude a literal string anywhere in the URL, but it doesn't understand
>regexps as far as I can tell.

This is correct. I don't believe it says anything about regexps anywhere in
the documentation. It would be a good feature request (hey, send it to
htdig3-bugs@htdig.org...)

>http://www.mydomain.com/archives/199808/
>
>but I _do_ want all documents below that directory containing any of the
>search words to be returned. For example, this document should be
>returned:
>
>http://www.mydomain.com/archives/199808/msg00003.html
>
>I tried setting "exclude" to "/$" and "\/$" (the latter shouldn't really
>be necessary, should it?) and ".*/$" with no effect. Directory indices
>were still returned.

I'd use restrict. Something like this should work

restrict="http://www.mydomain.com/archives/199808/|.html"

This will make sure all pages will have URLs that match *both* restrict
criteria.