htdig: Introductions

Fri, 1 Jan 1999 11:28:34 -0500 (EST)

Hi (and Happy 1999 for many of you),

Since many people are in the mood for introductions, I'll throw in a short
one. I'm a 21 yr old senior chemistry major at Williams College. I just
sent off applications to PhD programs in computational chemistry (see,
now you understand why a chem major is developing software). So I'm a
full time student and I do this in my "free time."

I'm currently volunteering as the maintainer for ht://Dig. About this time
last year, I was simply a user of 3.0.8b2 who had developed a few patches
and applied those that seemed useful from the "unofficial patch archive."
I helped test some of the local filesystem patches and helped find some
bugs.

But that's what's great about free software, open software, or whatever
you're calling it. The code is there; the documentation is there (see the
htdoc folder!); the developers are around and like feedback. I liked
ht://Dig enough and thought it had enough promise to help out with it.

So that you have fair warning, I'm writing this offline and splitting it
into three parts. The second e-mail includes things I hope to see with
ht://Dig in 1999. The third includes things that might be "resolutions"
for the ht://Dig community as a whole (after all, the developers are
users too!).