htdig: Goals for 1999

Fri, 1 Jan 1999 11:28:41 -0500 (EST)

Some of you have probably been looking for some sense of what features are
planned for ht://Dig. Several features are certainly frequently requested
(phrase searching anyone?). So I thought I'd share some ideas as to what
will appear for ht://Dig during 1999.

* New server: Thanks to Andrew Sherpbier, htdig.org is moving to a
dedicated server. This will hopefully allow for a variety of new services,
including a contributed files section for dictionaries, scripts and
documentation.

* Database merging: I'm putting the finishing touches on code to merge
multiple databases. Hopefully by sometime next week, I'll test it out and
send out a patch.

* Bugs: We're knocking 'em off, one by one. Hopefully we'll get close to
"it's not a bug, it's a feature!" :-) More seriously, I think we should
expect to never see ht://Dig coredump again. Period.

* Better results: I hope most people see more accurate search results with
version 3.1.0b3. I think we can get some factors adjusted and add some
code to improve results even more. After all, how many people go to 2 pages of
results?

* Scalability: Lots of people are asking about how well ht://Dig scales.
Right now I know of some users around 500,00-600,000 documents. Currently,
that's causing some scalability problems beyond RAM, disk space and time.
Hopefully we can eliminate most of these problems.

* Usability: Some people have asked for simplified interfaces. I could see
a great CGI here--a web interface that would set various config options,
allow you to add URLs to a file for start_urls, etc.