Re: htdig: New deployment of Dig Question

Fri, 1 Jan 1999 11:29:04 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 31 Dec 1998, Lionel Siau wrote:

> (i) It is 'suggested' that my database would contain files made up of
> text records ie each line would be 1 record with several fields.
> HOwever, most search engines claim they can search text and index it.
> BUT can they return that SPECIFIC record/line instead of the entire
> text/file. Can Dig do this or can any search engine do this?

In your case, you're probably better off writing a simple perl script to
match the record. HotWired's WebMonkey site, among others has nice
tutorials on lots of topics, including this one.

The problem is that a website search engine essentially considers the
entire text/file as a record. A custom script would consider the
lines as records, whether they're URLs (as someone asked recently) or
something else.