Re: htdig: htsearch core dumps

Marjolein Katsma (webmaster@javawoman.com)
Tue, 29 Dec 1998 18:39:17 +0100

Geoff,

At 11:46 1998-12-29 -0500, you wrote:

>> Any idea what I should be looking for? Viewing the .core file seems it
>> indicate it is picking up teh correct configuration and finding the
>databases.
>
>The best thing to do with core files from *any* program is the following:
>
>gdb program core
>... [Ed: Output omitted]
>(gdb) bt
>[Backtrace of program]

Thanks, that did it (and I learned something new!).

It turned out I had forgotten to upload the (not-yet-customized) output
templates as mentioned in template_map. Would have expected some kind of
normal error message though...

>A backtrace of the core file usually gives the offending call as well as
>the sequence of procedures to get to the current problem. You can also run
>programs under gdb, which will provide even more information, such as the
>line of the program that caused the coredump, the status of variables,
>etc.

relevant output:

(gdb) bt
#0 mystrcasestr (s=0x0, pattern=0x10dd "excerpt") at strcasecmp.cc:80
#1 0x1230 in Display::Display (this=0xefbfc8fc,
    indexFile=0x73c00
"/usr/home/javawoma/usr/local/htdig/db/jw/db.docs.index", docFile=0x73d00
"/usr/home/javawoma/usr/local/htdig/db/jw/db.docdb")
    at Display.cc:151
#2 0x4f47 in main (ac=3, av=0xefbfdae4) at htsearch.cc:277

Maybe the error handling in this section of Display.cc (lines 135-152) is
not quite watertight?

Java Woman - http://javawoman.com/