htdig: max_hop_count unreliable?

Jeff Breidenbach (jeff@jab.org)
Mon, 28 Dec 1998 11:37:08 -0500

I was reading the documentation today at http://www.htdig.org
and noticed a disclaimer about the max_hop_count setting.

  "Unfortunately, [max_hop_count] only works reliably when a complete
  index is created, not an update."

That's discouraging, as I'd hoped to significantly decrease the dig
time for my system. I know ahead of time which URLs are new or
change. So I was going to create a page that links to all the new
pages, and run an update dig against that page with a max_hop_count of
1.

A brief search of recent list archives and the bug tracking database
did not reveal any more information.

1) Does this problem still exist
2) If so, is any more information available?

Thank you,
Jeff