htdig: New deployment of Dig Question

Lionel Siau (cyls98@doc.ic.ac.uk)
Thu, 31 Dec 1998 17:06:15 +0000

Hi everyone,

I'm doing a new deployment of a search engine for a small intranet. I've
got some questions :

(i) It is 'suggested' that my database would contain files made up of
text records ie each line would be 1 record with several fields.
HOwever, most search engines claim they can search text and index it.
BUT can they return that SPECIFIC record/line instead of the entire
text/file. Can Dig do this or can any search engine do this?

I wanted to put it into a small DB like mSQL or my SQL etc but the
'CUSTOMER' didn't want that..:( I suspose most search engines are
intelligent enough to return the record for a DBM file right??

(ii) Has anyone compiled this under linux RHL 5.1 and above?? It should
work right?

I'm quite new to this so any help will be greatly appreciated.

Lionel