Re: htdig: Slashes in query string causing loops

Matthew Whalen (mwhalen@uucom.com)
Tue, 22 Dec 1998 15:24:21 -0500

I think I heard Gilles Detillieux say:
>In the 3.1.0b2 release, htdig stripped everything after the "?", so I'm
>assuming you used one of the patches posted to this list to fix that,
>so you could index CGI pages. You mentioned that you didn't change the
>configuration or the scripts, but did you install other patches to
>htdig just before this started happening?

I installed no patches. It's been a while since my initial install, but
I recall having to change something in the default config file to
remove the cgi-bin restriction. I think it was in the default exclude.

>htdig interprets the final slash to mean a subdirectory when the URL matches
>a path in local_urls, so it gets the document from the local file system.
>Otherwise, I believe it's supposed to leave the interpretation of the
>final slash up to the HTTP server. Are you using local_urls at all, and
>if so, are you sure it's set not to interfere with any paths of CGI scripts?

I was not (and still am not) using local file system access.

>You may want to try an htdig -vvv to see where things go awry.

If it happens again, I will do that.

-matthew