Re: htdig: virtual hosts revisited

Walter Hafner (hafner@informatik.tu-muenchen.de)
Tue, 15 Dec 1998 08:56:04 +0100 (MET)

Webmaster writes:

> Geoff Hutchison writes:

> >We have lots of links on our website and it's annoying to see duplicates in
> >search results. But the problem with duplicate detection is deciding which
> >duplicate to use! My current thought is to use the document with the lower
> >hopcount.

> shortest hopcount is somewhat reasonable...
> also might want to use the one with the shortest URL(or is this what you
> mean by shortest hopcount?),
> or maybe put in some kind of 'server ranking'...

Why not take the 'shortest hopcount URL' _unless_ the machine name to
show is explicitely stated in the 'server_aliases' directive?

And a second thought on document checksums: Quite often I see root
documents more than 100 kb in size. Why not just computing a checksum of
the header. A HTTP 1.1 'HEAD' command would be sufficient and imho this
would save a lot of bandwidth and computing time.

-Walter

--
Walter Hafner_______________________________ hafner@in.tum.de
       <A href=http://www.tum.de/~hafner/>*CLICK*</A>