Re: htdig: ht://Dig's Suitability for CD-ROM Searching

Fri, 11 Dec 1998 00:40:12 -0500

At 9:34 PM -0500 12/10/98, D. Ichiro Lambe wrote:
>I was wondering if anyone had considered using ht://Dig as a search
>engine for a standalone CD-ROM? Although my experience with the package is
>limited, it seems that trying to stick it onto CD so that someone could
>run it without installation would be problematic for a number of reasons.
>Still, I thought I'd ask :)

Offhand, I'd think the biggest problem is that it doesn't accept file://
URLs. Since it can run htsearch through a command-line, it could probably
be put onto a CD. But since the results would all include http URLs, it
wouldn't help much.

On the other hand, you could also take a script to change the URLs in the
databases to file URLs.