Re: htdig: StringMatch bug?

Wed, 9 Dec 1998 17:29:49 -0500

There is at least one bug fixed in StringMatch in the current tree.
Obviously, I don't know if this is the only one.

> * Geoff, I modified the Retriever::IsValidUrl() so that when an URL
>is actually invalid, it prints out the reason. Could that be implemented in
>the new version since it's taking just a few minutes to add? It is REALLY
>useful when you want to have a good follow (...when debugging) of your
>digging.

Fair enough--send me a patch!

>... on 1 single line.

It doesn't need to be on a single line, but that's irrelevant.

>I tried to look at the findFirst function, but I'm not a big fan of binary
>and masking stuff, don't find it really intuitive ;). Anyway, too bad we
>can't use the "=~" operator from Perl, it would have taken 5 lines instead
>of 40 ;))).

I haven't really taken a look at StringMatch. If anyone would like to
rewrite it to use regex patterns, that might help. After all, we ought to
use that rx code for something!

>Anyway, did I miss something? I would really like to know the bottom reasons
>of all this.

I'm sure it's just a bug. There are probably others lurking out there too. :-)