1998-11: Re: htdig: DB2 problem on AIX 4.1.5 - unexpeceted file [#371]

Sleepycat Software (db@abyssinian.sleepycat.com)
Wed, 9 Dec 1998 11:14:43 -0500

Re: http://www.htdig.org/mail/1998-11/0256.html

Thank you for your email! I've reviewed it, as well as the
thread of email.

I'm a little concerned about the suggested change. I can't
understand why the DB_CREATE flag would cause an "unexpected
file format" message. To the best of my recollection, the
DB_CREATE flag is only used to turn on the O_CREAT flag on
UNIX systems, so I don't see how the error and the fix could
be related.

Does htdig turn on the Berkeley DB additional error message
output? If not, that might be worthwhile. It doesn't have
any performance impact (unlike --enable-diagnostic), and
may help shed some light on the failure.

Also, it might be worthwhile to use a debugger to track through
the DB open code and determine what error is being returned and
why the failure is happening in this case. We don't run on AIX
locally I'm afraid, so we can't do this test ourselves.

For future reference, your request is #371.

Regards,
Amy Adams