Re: htdig/htsearch.exe Win32

Alan Frostick (kernel.goa@t-online.de)
Sat, 5 Dec 1998 18:49:35 +0100

Andrew Scherpbier schrieb:
> > Hi Andrew!
> >
> > I recently asked htdig.org if they were considering releasing a binary
> > version of htsearch.exe for Windows 95, for use under localhost mode
> > with Apache on my development PC at home. I run a website which uses
> > htsearch on the server, and it works very well. My problem was to run an
> > offline version for searching a development website offline.
> >
> > Geoff Hutchison suggested I try out the experimental binary under
> > htdig.org/files/binaries
> > and let him know whether I succeeded or not.
> >
> > Having downloaded the 1.7 Mb file (which I presume originates from
> > you) I attempted to install this under Apache's cgi-bin.
> > When running a search the htsearch.exe reports it is unable to
> > start a child process because of a required library file: namely
> > CYGWIN1.DLL
> > This is not supplied within the gzip file, and since you are quoted as
> > its author I thought I'd ask you for advice before getting back to Geoff.
> > I read in the README file that it is intended for NT4, but maybe Win95 too?
> >
> > Best regards
> > Alan
>
> I am the origianl author of ht://Dig, not of the win32 port of ht://Dig.
> However, I think I can help you here... You need to get and install the
> cygwin package from http://www.cygnus.com/. It was used to create the win32
> port and any programs created with it require the DLL that your copy complains
> about.
>
> I hope that helps.
> --
> Andrew Scherpbier <andrews@contigo.com>
> Contigo Software <http://www.contigo.com/>

Thanks Andrew and Geoff!
I'm replying to both of you with the same mail so that you can both learn
of my findings. The good news is I have got it to function!

1. I downloaded the 3Mb user.exe file from cygnus.com which self expands
   by default into a directory structure on C:\CYGNUS\ ...etc
2. I setup a directory structure C:\OPT\WWW ...etc with the htdig files
3. I edited the htdig.conf file to use URL http://localhost under Apache
4. I copied HTSEARCH.EXE and CYGWIN1.DLL into the Apache/cgi-bin
   it was also necessary to place a copy of CYGWIN1.DLL in the
   /opt/www/htdig/bin/ directory too.
5. Looking at the BASH loading script given in cygnus.bat I realised it
   was quite easy to load BASH and run the htdig/htmerge/htnotify sequence
   by hand or by script from there: which I did by adding an extra path in
   it to /opt/www/htdig/bin/ so that I could run them all without changing
   the current working directory.
6. I found htdig ran OK under BASH, was able to eyeball it in verbose mode
   but I then discovered that htmerge failed consistently with an error not
   being able to find the sort function: and the error message expected
   this to be in a directory: /usr/CYGWIN-b20/H-I586.... etc and seemed
   to be able to go no further.
7. I renamed the base directory structure name from C:\CYGNUS\CYGWIN-b20...
   to C:\USR\CYGWIN-b20...
   and edited the pathname in the loading script (cygnus.bat) also to
   reference this path instead.
8. htmerge now worked and I was able to complete the htnotify and even
   tested htfuzzy too.
9. htsearch now runs (not all the expected pages are there, but maybe I
   have to fine tune it a bit) but is does fly!

If there's anything I can give you back which might help you let me
know - I'd be only too willing to help! I think the above workaround
noted could perhaps be avoided by amending the sorting call in htmerge
to use an environment setting as to where the sort bin is.

Regards
Alan

ps. I will go through all my changes again would be willing to document
the procedure fully for novice downloaders: the documentation and readme
files lack quite a lot of background info as to how to make it work,
which is only to be discovered in the scripts themselves.

Alan Frostick, Rutschbahn 35, 20146 Hamburg, Germany
Tel. and Fax +49(0)40 451129
eMail alan@frostick.de kernel.goa@t-online.de
http://www.frostick.de http://www.goatrance.de/kernel/