Re: htdig: Stoping the dig

Fri, 4 Dec 1998 13:19:29 -0500

At 7:24 AM -0500 12/4/98, Vinicius Paulo de Seixas Filho wrote:
> I start the dig of about 450,000 documents using a P-100 with 32Meg
>of RAM. With this short amount of memory, my machine started to swap
>like crazy! It is using more than 100Meg of swap. It is in the dig
>process for 2 days and I think that it will be still digging for the
>next 3 or 4 days. I would like to stop the process if I don't lose what
>have been done, to start again later.

Part of the problem is you simply don't have enough memory (I'm sure you
realize this now). For the number of docs you're trying to index, I'd guess
you'll want at least 128MB memory. Memory requirements are being improved,
but that's a lot of docs!

One of the goals for htdig4 when it gets off the ground is to allow for a
self-consistent DB that merges along the way.