Re: htdig: Explaination of C++ sources

Fri, 4 Dec 1998 13:37:50 -0500

At 2:30 AM -0500 12/3/98, U.O. Telematica Municipale - Comune di Prato wrote:
>Is there any documentation about the C++ project of HTDIG? And about its
>Analisys (classes, messages, etc ...). I wish I could be able to modify it
>and to improve it.
>
>I would UNDERSTAND how it works ... Could I have a little starting point?

Perhaps the best starting point is:
http://www.htdig.org/howitworks.html

The best way to begin to understand and/or modify the source is to look
through it. The files are named well, it's organized nicely, and the code
is pretty readable. It would be better if there were more comments in
places, but that's coming along. :-)

Another way to learn the source code is to go through the ChangeLog a bit.
Here you can see what things were added where and why.

I began by looking at certain files and trying to get a grasp on them. It's
better to start small--I started by adding support for HTML meta tags and
went from there.