Re: htdig: Stoping the dig

Gianugo Rabellino (nemorino@adina.inet.it)
Fri, 4 Dec 1998 18:58:03 +0100

On Fri, Dec 04, 1998 at 08:09:10AM -0800, Andrew Scherpbier wrote:
> > 1 - What happens if I abort the digging in the middle? I lose what have
> > been done or I can just stop and then restart later?
>
> You can't stop in the middle. htdig adds a special record at the end of its
> run that contains information about the next docid. If htdig is stopped in
> the middle, that record doesn't get written and bad things may happen.

How about controlling it? It shouldn't be difficult to write somewhere
that information when receiving a SIGUSR or something (I might even
volunteer to do that, but if you'd knew my C++ knowledge you wouldn't
dare to ask :)). The difficult part might be adding code to htdig so that,
given for instance the "-r" option, it will read the status of the last
run and "resume" the digging instead of starting a new one. How
about that?

--
Gianugo Rabellino
Editor