Re: htdig: About the Cron Jobs

Thu, 3 Dec 1998 16:18:47 -0600 (CST)

According to Benoit Majeau:
> If you are experiencing problems to run "rundig" from a cron job (getting
> some weird errors like "Word Sort Failed"), simply run the script from a
> "csh" (C shell).
>
> In other words, do these modifications in your rundig script.
>
> 1- Change the first line "#!/bin/sh" to this "#!/bin/csh"
>
> 2- Some "sh" commands do not work in the "csh". So we have to translate
> them:

You can also use "#!/bin/ash" at the start of the script, as it doesn't have
the same problem as sh (bash) does, and uses the same syntax. Or, you can
keep it as an sh script, and just run htmerge from csh, e.g.:
        csh -c "/....bin/htmerge .... "
but that's a bit ugly.

I posted a few messages to this list just over a month ago about this very
problem and a patch to vixie-cron to fix this back on November 2. These
are available in the mailing list archives on http://www.htdig.org/, if
you want to get to the bottom of it.

> At least, it is working for me (I'm using linux).

Red Hat Linux 5.0, 5.1 or 5.2, right? The bug in vixie-cron was introduced
by one of Red Hat's patches to the package, which caused a problem with
its SIGCHLD signal handling. It seems bash is quite sensitive to this,
while csh and ash aren't. I sent my fix to Eric Troan at Red Hat, but
no word yet on whether they've done anything with it. Sigh!