Re: htdig: performance tips?

Wed, 2 Dec 1998 22:07:40 -0500

At 4:46 PM -0500 12/2/98, Jeff Breidenbach wrote:
>I noticed Geoff sugestin leaving old .work files around
>when using -a. I tried that on a small dig and noticed no
>improvement.

It depends. (I'm assuming you haven't specified "-i") If your server
doesn't support the If-Modified-Since header, you'll be doing the same
thing. Also, if you have a lot of modified files or a small database, you
might not see any improvement. I usually see a big improvement. But I've
got a DB of about 50,000, so only indexing daily changes (a few hundred
pages maybe) is a big speedup.

>1) Which .work files should be left around?

All of them.

>2) How about a perfomance tips page, that has some info
> on what to do with either some benchmarks or O(n) notation
> estimates?

It's a good idea, but benchmarks will vary considerably, and O(n) isn't
useful. The benefit is that you should grab fewer whole pages...