Re: htdig: I'll == ill ???

Wed, 2 Dec 1998 18:31:49 -0600 (CST)

According to Jed Michnowicz:
> On Wed, 2 Dec 1998, Gilles Detillieux wrote:
> >Here's a strange quirk in ht://Dig I just discovered. If you search for
> >"illness", the query is expanded to "(illness or ill or ills)", and the
> >word "ill" brings up any document that contains "I'll", with the text
> >"(None of the search words were found in the top of this document.)"
> >appearing instead of a document excerpt.
>
> This is not a quirk. You must be using the "endings" fuzzy search which
> is used to match common word endings. More info at:
> http://www.htdig.org/htfuzzy.html

Yes, I understand about the endings fuzzy search causing the expansion,
but that's not what I referred to as a quirk. The quirk is that the
database lookup in htsearch treats "I'll" and "ill" as the same word,
but when trying to find the word in the document text, for the excerpt,
it doesn't. It does a case insensitive search for the first matching
word, but when looking for "ill" it doesn't match "I'll" in the text.

Ah, well, I don't think it's that big a deal. Not enough to rewrite the
way Display::excerpt() searches for the word.

> If the word searched is not at the top of the docuemnt text, but still
> within the document it displays that message.

In my case, I have max_head_length set to 50000, and the matched documents
are all smaller than that, so the word is in the excerpt, but isn't being
found.

> You can force htdig to
> display the search summary with this config option:
>
> excerpt_show_top: true

Yes, but I prefer the excerpt to show where the searched word is found.