Re: htdig: Searching for adjacent words

Tue, 1 Dec 1998 12:35:15 -0500

At 12:53 PM -0500 11/30/98, Edmond Abrahamian wrote:
>All in all, for a "band-aid", I would be happy to use it this way, given that
>it may be almost trivial to implement it (I think).

Personally, I'd rather implement it well, rather than implement it and then
tear the "band-aid" out later. This is why I haven't added the patch to
detect duplicate files through local_files--I want to make sure similar
support is available through HTTP.

There was some very good discussion on how to do these kinds of searches
back in June (see the mail archive).

> grep through a large number of documents. But hey, we grep through them
> now anyway! Because htsearch highlights those parts of the document that
> hit.

While this is true at the moment, I see this as a "potential optimization."
In other words, I intend on fixing that.