htdig: Header/Footer Templates

F Harvell (fharvell@fts.net)
Wed, 25 Nov 1998 02:28:14 -0500

  Please forgive my ignorance. I am new to htdig and to the mailing
list. I have looked through the archive (somewhat), but have not
found an answer.

  Is there a way to specify the header/footer (and nomatch and syntax
error) file locations without the use of a separate htdig and config
file (with the required extra htdig runs)? I.e., is is possible to
have a single config file (maintained by me) and let a virtual domain
site owner define his own header/footer?

  It appears that there is great support for virtual hosts in the
other areas. Htdig can be set up to create one index, and then,
through the restrict variable, restrict the results to just one web
site. This is good. If I could also allow the user to specify, in
some way, the location of the header/footer html template that should
be used as well, then I could then provide a working search capability
to my clients _and_ allow them to customize the output.

  Note: I believe that I'm looking for a way to specify the location
based upon the search.html form. I know that there are config file
attributes, but, 1) they require a separate config file (and too much
power to the user) for each virtual host, 2) they imply the
requirement of a separate htdig run, and 3) they are relative to the
${common_dir} (without the use of the ".." directory).

  If there is no such support, please let me know and I will look into
building a patch. Thanks.

--
Mr. F Harvell                          Phone: +1.407.696.4244
FTS International Data Systems, Inc.   Phone: +1.407.221.1195 (cell)