htdig: 'exclude' and 'restrict'

William Rhee (willrhee@umich.edu)
Mon, 23 Nov 1998 19:09:18 -0500 (EST)

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to give the end user more control over restricting URLs which
come back in a search. In short, I'd like to present a bunch of check
boxes which the user can click on or off to select different criteria to
affect the search results, for example something like this:

---snip---
Limit the search to any of the following collections (click one or many):
Technotes
<input type=radio name=restrict value=http://someplace.org/technotes/>
News
<input type=radio name=restrict value=http://someplace.org/news/>
Events
<input type=radio name=restrict value=http://someplace.org/calendar/>
---snip---

When htsearch receives the multiple 'restrict' values from the form it
would be nice if it could take all the values and join them with a pipe
character ('|') to create the pattern to check against.

The way it is now, if you set multiple values for 'exclude', all but the
final name/value pair is ignored and the final value alone is what gets
used for the pattern. By contrast, if you submit multiple values for
'restrict', I would assume the same, but I'm not sure what's going on
because any search I do brings back no matches at all!

The way that htsearch seems to work now, it doesn't consider multiple
values when trying to build exclude/restrict patterns. It would be a nice
feature for a new release :-)

What I'm wondering is if anyone out there has already hacked this, or has
used another approach?

thanks,
--Will