Re: htdig: Free BSD, local_urls

Mon, 23 Nov 1998 16:32:19 -0600 (CST)

According to jivko@ijs.com:
> At 03:44 PM 11/23/98 -0600, Gilles Detillieux wrote:
> >You don't mention which version of ht://Dig you're running. The local
> >directory stuff was introduced in 3.1.0b1, so if you're still running
> >3.0.8b2, the local_urls directive is silently ignored. I ran into that
> >problem a couple months ago. The current version is 3.1.0b2, and that's
> >what the documentation at http://www.htdig.org/ describes.
>
> This is precisely what I use and it is driving me crazy, because according
> everything I read it should work. htdig keeps reporting "unable to build
> connection..." and that is it! :-(

Do you have an http server running on this system? htdig still needs to
talk to the server at the start, even if you use local_urls. At the very
least, it tries to get /robots.txt from the server, as well as files for
which it doesn't know the type (non-HTML files). On my system, where
some users' web directories are also indexed, it also uses the server
for the main index page of each user's web pages. (For some reason,
the local_user_urls directive works for pages under the home page, e.g.
/~user/file.html, but not the home page itself, i.e. "/~user/".) I don't
know if there's a way to get htdig to run without contacting the server
at all.

If you do have a server running, and you're sure the start_urls in
your config file is correct, then there may be a problem with htdig's
Connection.cc file on Free BSD. I can't help you there, as I've only
used htdig on Linux, and have no Free BSD experience.