htdig: New config options

Sun, 22 Nov 1998 13:54:15 -0500

Hi,

This is a philosophical question.

As part of the development, I add new config options, including those that
modify search rankings. My current policy has been for "do no harm." In
short, the newer versions will act similarly to previous versions if you
don't change the new options.

For some options, this seems best. (e.g. "use_meta_descriptions" would
change the results for many pages).

But now I'm working on some stuff that seems like it should have good defaults
(e.g. "meta_description_factor" is non-zero since meta descriptions can be
considered as similar to meta keywords.) In my experimental ranking system,
non-zero values for these factors produce much better rankings.

So do I provide what I think are the best general settings as defaults?
Or do I provide consistent behavior (e.g. ranking) with previous versions?