Re: htdig: Making htdig on Digital Unix 4.0D

Susan Mathews (smathews@socrates.berkeley.edu)
Wed, 18 Nov 1998 15:18:22 -0800

George,
Thank you very much, this did the trick! We do indeed have a local,
skightly older version of /usr/lib/libdb.a
        Susan
At 07:05 AM 11/18/98 -0700, George Adams wrote:

>>Here's the error I get from the current version:
>>
>>c++ -o htfuzzy -L../htlib -L../htcommon -L../db-2.4.14/dist -L../rx-1.5/rx
>>-L/usr/lib Endings.o EndingsDB.o Exact.o Fuzzy.o Metaphone.o Soundex.o
>>SuffixEntry.o Synonym.o htfuzzy.o Substring.o Prefix.o -lcommon -lht -ldb
>>-lrx
>>collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>>/bin/ld:
>>Unresolved:
>>db_open
>>db_appexit
>>db_appinit
>>make[1]: *** [htfuzzy] Error 1
>
>What you're seeing are problems related to the Berkeley DB library. htdig
needs a fairly modern version of db, which is why it ships with one that
works. (see that -L../db-2.4.14/dist line? That's where htdig's db library
is).

>Yours is the same problem I had, which in my case was due to an older
version of libdb.a existing on my machine in /usr/lib . The c++ compiler
got the "-ldb" directive, found the old libdb.a in /usr/lib, and stopped
looking any further for a usable libdb.a . Unfortunately, /usr/lib/libdb.a
didn't include "db_open," "db_appexit," or "db_appinit" - hence the problem.

>The solution is to modify the c++ command so it explicity references the
correct libdb.a . You can do this by replacing the "-ldb" directive in the
c++ command with "../db-2.4.14/dist/libdb.a"