Re: htdig: Any smaller/simpler programs out there

Tue, 17 Nov 1998 19:56:47 -0500

At 4:20 PM -0500 11/17/98, Avi Rappoport wrote:
>At 11:46 AM -0800 11/17/98, Patrick Stallard wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> ht:/Dig looks like a great program (I haven't tried installing it yet), but
>> it seems like a lot more than I need. I only need to search a small handful
>> of technical documents. Does anyone know if there's any simpler (free) way
>> to search a small directory tree? JavaScript, or a little Perl script, or
>> something?
>>
>Yes ht://Dig is wonderful but kindof intimidating for non-Unix-wizards
>(like me). Please see my site: <http://www.searchtools.com> for lots of
>alternatives. I don't think you can do it in JavaScript but Perl, Java,
>remote indexing, little CGIs -- there are a lot of options.

I'd certainly agree that for a small handful of documents, ht://Dig is
probably overkill. (My suggestion would involve Perl--you can also get some
ideas from some articles at http://www.hotwired.com/webmonkey/ if you know
some Perl).

I'm a little curious as to why you consider it "kindof intimidating." I
would appreciate comments in the ease-of-use department if you have any.
Why might it be any more/less intimidating than any other search tool of
it's kind?