Re: htdig: Any smaller/simpler programs out there

Avi Rappoport (avirr@lanminds.com)
Tue, 17 Nov 1998 13:20:32 -0800

At 11:46 AM -0800 11/17/98, Patrick Stallard wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> ht:/Dig looks like a great program (I haven't tried installing it yet), but
> it seems like a lot more than I need. I only need to search a small handful
> of technical documents. Does anyone know if there's any simpler (free) way
> to search a small directory tree? JavaScript, or a little Perl script, or
> something?

Yes ht://Dig is wonderful but kindof intimidating for non-Unix-wizards
(like me). Please see my site: <http://www.searchtools.com> for lots of
alternatives. I don't think you can do it in JavaScript but Perl, Java,
remote indexing, little CGIs -- there are a lot of options.

Avi