Re: htdig: dog and cat

Sat, 14 Nov 1998 21:22:55 -0500

At 5:21 AM -0500 11/11/98, Zvi Har'El wrote:
>I beleive that the algorithm of removing "bad_words" should pay attention to
>the boolean case, and do its job on each of the operands of the boolean
>expression, not on the operators!

Fair enough.

>BTW, there are few 2 letter words in the bad_words list: it, an, of. So, why
>'or' is special?

Probably an omission. The bad_words list included is meant more as an
example. If people submit a better one, great. I'd like to see support for
ranking words against their dictionary frequency (i.e. in the database).
This would help negate words that aren't in the bad_words but should be.

>I agree that capitalizing the boolean operators does solve the problem. Is
>this
>in ht://Dig specs that they should be capitalized?

Oops. Forget the message earlier, I guess I should read more mail before
responding. :-) I don't see it anywhere, but I think the examples may
mention it. Besides, don't we want to make searching easier? (i.e. we
should make booleans case insensitive, or ensure bad_words doesn't remove
them).