BOUNCE htdig: Admin request

owner-htdig@sdsu.edu
Thu, 12 Nov 1998 10:49:28 -0800 (PST)

>From andrew@contigo.com Thu Nov 12 10:49:26 1998
To: htdig@sdsu.edu
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 10:48:22 -0700
From: "George Adams" <learningapache@my-dejanews.com>
Subject: Please help me compile ht://dig

I hope someone can help me figure out where I'm going wrong in trying to compile HT://Dig. I'm afraid I'm not a C/C++ programmer, so my guesses as to what the problem is might be completely wrong. I'll try to leave a fairly complete audit trail here so more experienced folks might see what I missed. Thanks to anyone who can help!

In preparation for compiling HT://Dig on my Alpha running Digital Unix 4.0d, I installed the following:

   gcc 2.8.1
   libg++
   libstdc++
      in /data/apps/gnu

   GNU make 3.77
      in ~/bin

I then started compiling HT://Dig
   ./configure --prefix=/data/apps/htdig
   make

It made it all the way to this point:
c++ -o htfuzzy -L../htlib -L../htcommon -L../db-2.4.14/dist -L../rx-1.5/rx -L/usr/lib Endings.o EndingsDB.o Exact.o Fuzzy.o Metaphone.o Soundex.o SuffixEntry.o Synonym.o htfuzzy.o Substring.o Prefix.o -lcommon -lht -ldb -lrx

collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
/usr/bin/ld:
Unresolved:
db_open
db_appexit
db_appinit
-------------------------------

(c++ = the new g++ 2.8.1, BTW)

I didn't know quite what that meant, but I suspected the cause might be an outdated Berkeley DB library on my machine (?). I tried running "nm" on /usr/local/lib/libdb.a and indeed did not find db_open, db_appexit, or db_appinit.

So I installed Berkeley DB 2.5.9 in /data/apps/BerkeleyDB , compiling it with the --enable-cxx option. Once that was done, running an "nm" on /data/apps/BerkeleyDB/lib/libdb.a showed the three items "ld" couldn't find earlier, so I tried to compile HT://Dig again, this time adding -I/data/apps/BerkeleyDB/include and -L/data/apps/BerkeleyDB/lib to the c++ command.

The compile failed again, returning the same error message.

I thought maybe c++ was finding the old Berkeley DB library in /usr/local/lib and trying to use it instead of the new one. Since I didn't have permission to delete it, I tried manaully editing the two files that refer to <db.h> (htlib/DB2_db.h and htlib/BTree.cc) and changing the lines from
   #include <db.h>
   #include "/data/apps/BerkeleyDB/include/db.h"

then recompiling, except instead of using "-ldb", I manually inserted "/data/apps/BerkeleyDB/lib/libdb.a" on the command line.

The compile still failed:
-------------------------------
c++ -nostdinc -nostdinc++ -o htfuzzy -I/data/apps/BerkeleyDB/include /data/apps/BerkeleyDB/lib/libdb.a -L/data/apps/BerkeleyDB/lib -L../htlib -L../htcommon -L../db-2.4.14/dist -L../rx-1.5/rx -L/usr/lib Endings.o EndingsDB.o Exact.o Fuzzy.o Metaphone.o Soundex.o SuffixEntry.o Synonym.o htfuzzy.o Substring.o Prefix.o -lcommon -lht -ldb -lrx

collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
/usr/bin/ld:
Unresolved:
db_open
db_appexit
db_appinit

At this point, I'm stumped. I did go back and try the c++ flags -nostdinc -nostdinc++ , but they didn't help. Can anyone spot something I've missed, and help me finish compiling the program? Thanks again to anyone who can help me with this, and if I've left out any critical pieces of information, please let me know.

-----== Sent via Deja News, The Discussion Network ==-----
http://www.dejanews.com/ Easy access to 50,000+ discussion forums