Re: htdig: SSL search engine

Wed, 11 Nov 1998 13:55:08 -0500

At 1:27 PM -0500 11/11/98, Brian K. Justice wrote:

>We've used ht://dig to index a bunch of sites, but these sites
>are now all going SSL, which presents the obvious problems. Does anyone
>know of a search engine that will go through SSL? Or, better yet, how
>feasible is it to add this functionality to ht://dig? I'd like to

There are two ways to do this. One is through local-filesystem indexing,
which they should love--theoretically no network.

The other is more complicated. Due to US laws, I can't put actual SSL code
into the indexer. Someone could put in hooks to SSL code... Then if you
want to add SSL you can go get the SSL library legally (but separately from
ht://Dig) and it would work.