Re: htdig: Error when HTdigin

Gilles Detillieux (
Tue, 13 Oct 1998 16:46:17 -0500 (CDT)

According to Bill & Kim:
> I had a database and the search was working just fine. Now, I ran htdig and
> I got the following:
> htdig: Run complete
> htdig: 1 server seen:
> htdig: 0 documents
> htmerge: Unable to open word list file
> '/web/guide/hardgainer/cyberpump/htdig/db
> /db.hgwordlist'
> All of a sudden it doesn't work!? They did upgrade the server software (and
> change the IP address).
> Any ideas?

I saw a similar error while indexing one system, after reinstalling
apache. I had forgotten to restart the server after installing it,
so htdig couldn't get its documents. The htmerge error is a result of
htdig's failure to produce any output. Look for a similar problem on
your system. If the server is running, and you can access it from a
browser, look for other reasons htdig can't access it (e.g. incorrect
IP address for in the /etc/hosts file on the system
where you're running htdig). The http server's error logs may provide
a clue as well.

Spinal Cord Research Centre       WWW: