Re: htdig: other search engines

Avi Rappoport (
Tue, 13 Oct 1998 09:18:43 -0700

At 9:19 PM +0930 10/12/98, simon wrote:
> Hi all ,
> I am doing a research project on search engines and it is stated in the
> htdig page that
> "This system is not meant to replace the need for powerful internet-wide
> search systems like.... Instead it is meant to cover the search needs
> for a single company, campus, or even a particular sub section of a web
> site."
> Does anyone know of soltware that is meant to emulate larger search
> engines ?
What you need is a search tool that indexes using a robot spider, or
crawler, on remote sites. The ones I know about are: Webglimpse, Harvest,
OpenText, Verity Search97, Phantom, ASTAWare SearchKey (formerly Innotech
NetResults), Magnifi, AltaVista Intranet, Lycos Site Spider,and Cybotics.

For more information on these and other site search tools, please see my
site: <>.

Avi Rappoport, Web Site Search Tools Maven <>
Guide to Site Indexing and Local Search Engines: <>