Re: htdig: Berkeley DB2 and 3.1.0b1

Tue, 13 Oct 1998 00:19:55 -0400

At 6:41 AM -0400 10/12/98, J. op den Brouw wrote:

>> One of the worst bugs in htdig-3.1.0b1 is seen most obviously with the META
>> descriptions. If a document doesn't have a META description, the database
>> picks up another (seemingly random) description from another file.

>Do these problems also appear in 3.0.8b2 with Berkeley patch (db-2.3.16)?
>As far as I know the routines in DB2_db.cc are a sort of
>one-on-one copy op DB_db.cc and GDBM_db.cc.

Well, it took me a while, but I switched my current development copy back
to GDBM and indexed part of my site. The bug does indeed appear even in
GDMB databases. I inspected the db.docdb file itself. Though I know you
cannot just read the records directly, it appears as if the data from
previous records is "infecting" later records--i.e. the description from an
early record seems to become the default.

I haven't actually ported the META description stuff back to 3.0.8b2. For
the moment, I assume it exists there as well since I didn't actually change
any of the Database files for 3.1.0b1, other than the changes installed by
you and Andrew for the Berkeley patch.