Re: htdig: other search engines

Mon, 12 Oct 1998 22:05:37 -0400 (EDT)

> "This system is not meant to replace the need for powerful internet-wide
> search systems like.... Instead it is meant to cover the search needs
> for a single company, campus, or even a particular sub section of a web
> site."

> Does anyone know of soltware that is meant to emulate larger search
> engines ?

The Google search engine <http://google.stanford.edu/> is an outstanding
large-scale search engine in an academic setting. While the code is not
open, the research group running it has made several papers on its design
and implementation available (even on the website itself).

There may also be some interesting papers linked on the ht://Dig
development web page: <http://dev.htdig.org/>. When I compiled that
bibliography, I did not emphasize large-scale search engines, I did focus
on topics useful for search engines in general, especially for accurate
matching.

I, for one, would be quite interestedin the results of your research.