Re: htdig: crontab problem solved!??

Lisa Applegate (lapplegate@pekin.net)
Thu, 01 Oct 1998 09:56:14 -0500

On Tue, 29 Sep 1998 18:32:05 -0500, Brian Litke wrote:

> I went and updated to the same version of vixie cron and I'm still getting
> the error message. I started off with a Redhat 5.0 distribution. Do you
> know if there are any other modifications you have made that might have
> affected htdig?

What shell are you using for the cron script?

I also am running htdig with Redhat 5.0, and was having the exact same
"htmerge: Word sort failed" problem when I ran htdig from cron. When
I would run the htdig script manually everything was fine, but it
consistently failed from cron. When I saw Jeff's post about updating
vixie-cron and that fixing his problem, I checked my version and found
that it was back level so I upgraded to vixie-cron-3.0.1-26 as well.

But that didn't fix it, as I still got that pesky htmerge error. So
then I tried running the script from csh, rather than bash, and lo and
behold, the htmerge error went away and everything updated correctly.

So I don't know if running it under csh would have fixed the problem
for me to begin with, or if the vixie-cron update and switching to csh
was the magic combination, but at any rate htdig is working in cron
for me now.

Lisa