Re: htdig: crontab problem solved!??

Lisa Applegate (
Thu, 01 Oct 1998 09:56:14 -0500

On Tue, 29 Sep 1998 18:32:05 -0500, Brian Litke wrote:

> I went and updated to the same version of vixie cron and I'm still getting
> the error message. I started off with a Redhat 5.0 distribution. Do you
> know if there are any other modifications you have made that might have
> affected htdig?

What shell are you using for the cron script?

I also am running htdig with Redhat 5.0, and was having the exact same
"htmerge: Word sort failed" problem when I ran htdig from cron. When
I would run the htdig script manually everything was fine, but it
consistently failed from cron. When I saw Jeff's post about updating
vixie-cron and that fixing his problem, I checked my version and found
that it was back level so I upgraded to vixie-cron-3.0.1-26 as well.

But that didn't fix it, as I still got that pesky htmerge error. So
then I tried running the script from csh, rather than bash, and lo and
behold, the htmerge error went away and everything updated correctly.

So I don't know if running it under csh would have fixed the problem
for me to begin with, or if the vixie-cron update and switching to csh
was the magic combination, but at any rate htdig is working in cron
for me now.

Lisa Applegate
Computer Systems Administrator 309.346.4745 voice
Pekin School District 108 309.346.0853 fax
Pekin, Illinois