Re: htdig: crontab problem solved!??

Andrew Scherpbier (andrew@contigo.com)
Tue, 29 Sep 1998 18:00:47 -0700

Brian Litke wrote:

> Well,
>
> I went and updated to the same version of vixie cron and I'm still getting
> the error message. I started off with a Redhat 5.0 distribution. Do you
> know if there are any other modifications you have made that might have
> affected htdig?
>
> Thanks,
> Brian
>
> >Well, after more trial and error, I found that the famous
> >"htmerge: Word sort failed" problem under cron goes
> >away when the vixie-cron package on Redhat Linux
> >is upgraded.
> >
> >My old version (use rpm -q vixie-cron) was
> > vixie-cron-3.0.1-20
> >
> >And the successful version for me is
> > vixie-cron-3.0.1-26
> >
> >I got my vixie-cron update from the redhat ftp site, ftp.redhat.com
> >under the rawhide directory, but you can look around, it may be
> >elsewhere.
> >
> >Jeff

Just FYI,
I run rundig from cron on a daily basis on a debian linux 2.0.35 system using
the cron_3.0pl1-45.deb debian package.

dpkg --info reports:
 Package: cron
 Version: 3.0pl1-45
 Architecture: i386
 Depends: libc6, bsdutils, debianutils (>=1.7)
 Recommends: smail | sendmail | mail-transport-agent
 Suggests: anacron (>=2.0-1)
 Installed-Size: 112
 Maintainer: Steve Greenland <stevegr@master.debian.org>
  cron is a background process (`daemon') that runs programs at regular
  intervals (for example, every minute, day, week or month); which
  processes are run and at what times are specified in the `crontab'.
  .
  Users may also install crontabs so that processes are run on
  their behalf, though this feature can be disabled or restricted to
  particular users.
  .
  Output from the commands is usually mailed to the system administrator
  (or to the user in question); you should probably install a mail system
  as well so that you can receive these messages.
  .
  This cron package is configured by default to do various standard
  system maintenance tasks, such as ensuring that logfiles do not
  grow endlessly and overflow the disk.

I index about 15,000 documents on two servers. So far I haven't had any
problems.

--
Andrew Scherpbier <andrew@contigo.com>