Re: htdig: htdig needs an exorcism

Tue, 29 Sep 1998 18:56:43 -0400

At 3:21 PM -0400 9/28/98, simon wrote:
>We are having some problems with a resident ghost in htdig
>The search results pages have suddenly decided not to work consistently
>We compiled all right, the dig went well, the results are there but the
>variables act up in header.html and footer.html. Principally the (last
>documents) and bottom counting gifs don't show any more after a few days
>running.

I would look at your server and server config. While I can't rule out a
problem with htsearch, if it doesn't "show any more after a few days
running" it is more likely to be a problem with the server IMHO. Htsearch
should not stay resident in memory, so bugs with this are likely to be
obvious and immediate.

However, I have experienced bugs in HTTP servers after several days of
continual service. We now kill and respawn our server processes every night.