htdig: Wrapper script for htsearch

John Grohol PsyD (johngr@cmhcsys.com)
Tue, 29 Sep 1998 14:49:42 -0400

I am moving from a long-time relationship with Excite for
Web Servers (EWS) to Htdig, after upgrading our OS and
hardware. Since we have been online for 3 years, we've
encouraged people to include a search engine interface
on their Web page which calls the EWS script from our server.
Naturally, the form is configured for EWS, not htsearch.

So I've written a wrapper script for htsearch which will
parse the EWS form and send stuff htsearch likes to see.
The problem is the wrapper works fine from the command
line, but not when called as a CGI from the Web.
I assume that, since the htdig config file can't be
named in the form, I need to define the file somehow as an
environmental variable in the perl wrapper script?
I'm not sure, but I think it has something to do with
ensuring htsearch knows where the htdig.conf file is...
and it doesn't right now.

I haven't been able to find any documentation surrounding
calling htsearch from the command line and would appreciate
any pointers or suggestions on how to get this wrapper to
work. I'd be happy to share it with others who may also
be upgrading from EWS to htsearch and want to make the old
search form still work...

Thanks a lot,
-John

--