Re: htdig: making ht://Dig 3.1.0b1 in Digital Unix 4.0D (fwd)

Fri, 25 Sep 1998 17:57:41 -0400

At 5:32 PM -0400 9/25/98, Jacques Le Mouel wrote:
>Didn't I read that htdig v4 is in the works and it is written in Java?
>Would this not solve all porting issues? (OK, this sounds a bit
>idealistic :-)) By the way, I'd like to know how it would/will be
>implemented, and what the impact will be on performance.

Yes, htdig4 will be written in Java and this should solve most porting
issues, including the possibility of MacOS and WinNT ports (actually a Mac
port should become easier when Mac OS X ships with the option of a BSD 4.4
shell).

The impact on performance should be pretty minimal. Many implementations
are fairly fast now and there are a variety of Java -> native compilers,
including the recently announced gjc compiler as part of the EGCS project.

Implementation is still up in the air since development has just started.
Any thoughts on htdig4 are welcome, as are development contributions of any
sort.