Re: htdig: making ht://Dig 3.1.0b1 in Digital Unix 4.0D (fwd)

Jacques Le Mouel (lemouel@sprintmail.com)
Fri, 25 Sep 1998 17:32:58 -0400

Geoff Hutchison wrote:

> At 4:10 PM -0400 9/25/98, Michael Boer wrote:
> >Just want to put in a humble plug to encourage you to consider including
> >changes that will facilitate making ht://Dig in 64-bit environments.
>
> >It's worse in C++ where overloading depends on the machine :-(
>
> Well I'm certainly looking at the changes proposed. Of course when they fix
> all the problems, I'll be even happier (as will you, I'm sure). Since I
> also have limited access to an Alpha, I'll see what I can do as far as
> testing.
>
> Don't worry about the plug. I'm trying to kill as many bugs as possible.
> The next beta will be almost exclusively a bug-fix. I know I've promised
> lots of patches to people for various extensions and whatnot. But the list
> of bugs is also quite long.

Didn't I read that htdig v4 is in the works and it is written in Java?
Would this not solve all porting issues? (OK, this sounds a bit
idealistic :-)) By the way, I'd like to know how it would/will be
implemented, and what the impact will be on performance.