RE: htdig: HTML special characters in HREF

Fri, 25 Sep 1998 16:03:35 -0400

>Given the proliferation of generated HTML these days, I suspect that
>htdig needs to put *everything* through SGMLEntity replacement. This
>means *every* place where a URL can occur, not just the HREF= clause.

Say it isn't so! :-)

This isn't the best of news. I looked through the RFC for URLs last night.
While I couldn't find anything forbidding & instead of %xxx, it did
mention that special characters were to be encoded as %xxx and "&" was a
special character. <chuckle>

Hmm. I guess we should just run through a document first and do SGMLEntity
replacement. Then we can parse to our heart's content. This is probably
what Netscape and IE do.