Re: htdig: making ht://Dig 3.1.0b1 in Digital Unix 4.0D

Stephane Bortzmeyer (bortzmeyer@pasteur.fr)
Fri, 25 Sep 1998 09:38:40 +0200

On Thursday 24 September 1998, at 7 h 55, the keyboard of "Paul J. Meyer"
<pmeyer@rimeice.msfc.nasa.gov> wrote:

> I had a similar problem on my Dec alpha running Redhat 5.1. I think the

I do not mean everything is perfect in ht://Dig but 3.0.8b2 compiled
out-of-the-box on my Alpha/Digital Unix.

We have not yet put it in production. See:

http://www.pasteur.fr/tmp/recherche.html

and you'll see why :-( But I'm not sure it is Alpha-related.

> fundamental problem is the use of size_t as unsigned long instead of unsigned
> int. Due to some of these type mismatches etc. (Alphas are 64 bit processors,
> not 32 bit, so longs are 8 bytes and not 4!),

Yes, it's a very common bug among developers who always think sizeof(long) ==
sizeof(void *) == 32 even if ANSI never said that :-(

It's worse in C++ where overloading depends on the machine :-(