Re: htdig: updating / reindexing and other questions

Mon, 21 Sep 1998 23:23:58 -0400

At 12:39 PM -0400 9/19/98, Jerry Preeper wrote:
>New question, how stable is 3.1.0b1? I would really like to use the

I've seen this question a lot. I don't know how to answer. Yes, there are
bug reports--there were lots with 3.0.8b2 as well. I usually take
"stability" to mean memory leaks, crashes, etc. In this regard, I believe
3.1.0b1 is at least as stable as 3.0.8b2.

Remember, I even use the development versions on my servers! (I'm now
indexing all of Williams College nightly, up to 80,000 pages). Truly
critical bugs (there have been a few on my part), are caught pretty quickly.

If you're truly worried about stability and you have the disk space, make
copies of all the files in htdig/bin/ as well as htdig/db/ and htdig/common
(for the synonym and endings db). Then you can downgrade if necessary.