htdig: FW: HTdig on Linux

Frost, Timothy E (timothy.frost@nz.eds.com)
Mon, 21 Sep 1998 09:17:23 +1200

Most of the GNU/Linux distributions package the C libraries into several
binary packages:
- run-time (/lib/libc.so.x, /lib/libm.so.y) where x, y are the
version numbers
- debugging (libg.a)
- static (libc.a and libm.a)
- development (/usr/lib/libc.so, /usr/lib/libm.so) which are symlinks on
my RH4.2
The development package also includes the startup/shutdown routines
(crt1.o, crtbegin.o, crtend.o etc) and static-only libraries (libbsd.a,
libgmon.a,libmcheck.a)

> The makefile config for ht://dig 2.1.0b1 uses the debugging library,
> libg.a, by default, so the choices are:
1: Install the libc-debug package
2: Remove the -ggdb option from the Makefile.in files

Unless you are intending to debug programs, it is preferable to remove
the debugging options. In fact, I would expect the defaults for a
release version to be optimise, rather than debug.