htdig: FW: HTdig on Linux

Frost, Timothy E (
Mon, 21 Sep 1998 09:17:23 +1200

Most of the GNU/Linux distributions package the C libraries into several
binary packages:
- run-time (/lib/, /lib/ where x, y are the
version numbers
- debugging (libg.a)
- static (libc.a and libm.a)
- development (/usr/lib/, /usr/lib/ which are symlinks on
my RH4.2
The development package also includes the startup/shutdown routines
(crt1.o, crtbegin.o, crtend.o etc) and static-only libraries (libbsd.a,

> The makefile config for ht://dig 2.1.0b1 uses the debugging library,
> libg.a, by default, so the choices are:
1: Install the libc-debug package
2: Remove the -ggdb option from the files

Unless you are intending to debug programs, it is preferable to remove
the debugging options. In fact, I would expect the defaults for a
release version to be optimise, rather than debug.