Re: Thanks for your article

Kirrily 'Skud' Robert (Kirrily.Robert@cc.monash.edu.au)
Wed, 16 Sep 1998 14:52:37 +1000

Stephen Meredith <Stephen.Meredith@jcu.edu.au> wrote:
>At 12:13 16/09/98 +1000, you wrote:
>>a reply from Rod Jacka <r.jacka@unsw.edu.au>
>>>concerning search engines, but as usual theirs won't run on Digital
>>>Unix :-(
>>
>>Bah, humbug. Did you look at htdig? http://htdig.sdsu.edu/
>
>This is what it says at their site (thanks for the URL):
>
>Unfortunately, I only have access to a couple of different Unix machines.
>ht://Dig has been tested on these machines:
>
> Sun Solaris 2.5 SPARC (using gcc/g++ 2.7.2)
> Sun SunOS 4.1.4 SPARC (using gcc/gcc 2.7.0)
> HP/UX A.09.01 (using gcc/g++ 2.6.0)
> IRIX 5.3 (SGI C++ compiler. Don't know the version)
>
>Do you know if this will run on Digital Unix 4.0D ?

Haven't tried it, but the installation is so simple that it should only
take you half an hour to find out one way or the other. Me, I've been
using it on Linux, and it's not in that list.

>I'll look at the SSI as well, but I think we might have it turned off.

Look at apache's mod_include documentation.

>The other topics you mention ARE of interest - I have a visit tomorrow
>from IBM about their Learning Space product.

>From what I've heard, it can be summarised in one word: "expensive".
We're talking about a per-student fee of something non-trivial, IIRC.
It might have been $70 or something. For the 50,000ish we've got,
that's a lot of money.

K.