Re: htdig: ht3.1.0b1 and PDF

Joe R. Jah (jjah@cloud.ccsf.cc.ca.us)
Sun, 13 Sep 1998 01:23:04 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 11 Sep 1998, Geoff Hutchison wrote:

> Date: Fri, 11 Sep 1998 13:28:47 -0400
> From: Geoff Hutchison <Geoffrey.R.Hutchison@williams.edu>
> To: Chris Brown <BrownC@ur.msstate.edu>
> Cc: htdig@sdsu.edu
> Subject: Re: htdig: ht3.1.0b1 and PDF
>
> At 12:51 PM -0400 9/11/98, Chris Brown wrote:
> >I recently installed htdig 3.1b1 and it works fine except now it won't
> >find my acroread to convert .pdf's. I still have the acroread: parameter
> >set in the htdig.conf file as it was in my old one.
> >
> >Is there a new param to set this?
>
> Yup. The param is "pdf_parser" since there was a lot of discussion about
> using other programs to parse PDF files. I don't think anyone has tested
> using other programs, but I figured it would be better to name it
> "pdf_parser" than "acroread" anyway.

I run htdig on a BSDI 3.1 box; acroread does not have a port for it, but I
have pdftops.

When I set the param up in my htdig.config file as follows:

pdf_parser: /usr/contrib/bin/pdftops

I get the following result:
Usage: pdftops [-f <int>] [-l <int>] [-h] [-help] <PDF-file> [<PS-file>]
  -f : first page to print
  -l : last page to print
  -h : print usage information
  -help: print usage information
PDF::parse: cannot open acroread output

when I set it up like:

pdf_parser: /usr/contrib/bin/pdftops %src %dest

I get the following result:
PDF::parse: cannot find acroread

What am I doing wrong?

TIA,