Re: htdig: Sudden htdig problem...

Alexander Bergolth (
Mon, 14 Sep 1998 23:52:31 +0200

Hi Dan!

At 22:02 14.09.98 , Dan Schleifer wrote:
> [...] The
>error occurs when running htmerge and here it is:
>%htmerge -sv
>Somewhere_deep_inside...: /usr/local/htdig/db/db.words.db: unexpected
>file format
>htmerge: Unable to create/open the word database

I had the same problem, but I think it's a bug in the Berkeley DB library.
(Maybe only on some AIX machines?)
In my case the problem occurs when opening some existing database files
with db_open having set the DB_CREATE flag. Without DB_CREATE the database
can be opened.

I applied the following dirty hack on DB2_db::OpenReadWrite (in

    // Create the database.
    // <LEO> strange error opening existing database files
    //if ((errno = db_open(filename, DB_BTREE, DB_CREATE, mode, dbenv,
    // &dbinfo, &dbp)) == 0)
    if (access(filename, F_OK) == 0)
      errno = db_open(filename, DB_BTREE, 0, 0, dbenv, &dbinfo, &dbp);
      errno = db_open(filename, DB_BTREE, DB_CREATE, mode, dbenv, &dbinfo,
    if (errno == 0)
    // </LEO>

Hope that helps,

Alexander (Leo) Bergolth
WU-Wien - Zentrum fuer Informatikdienste
Info Center
In a world without walls and fences, who needs windows and gates?