Re: htdig: Anyone Try Excite?

P. van Kemenade (pvk@spirit.nl)
Wed, 9 Sep 1998 10:55:50 +0200

> Lee et all,
Same here

I've been working with excite on different platforms; I had it installed
by a sysadmin & just did the maintaince. Actually, maintaince is the great
plus
for excite. Anyone can do it, through a very plain&logical web-interface.
QED: even I could do it .-) Creating new catalogs is done by a click on a
button.
CGI-SCripts and sample search forms and results pages, configured for the
new catalog are generated automatically. It's _very_ easy.

Ofcourse, because of this, it doesn't have the flexibility htDig seems to
offer.

> The one thing excite does offer that htdig doesn't, that I'd love to
> see in htdig, is the ability to index off of the local filesystem
> rather than through http.
This was the main reason I wanted htDig ... indexing through
http instead of (only) local fs. Indexing 'active serverpages',
database-generated sites, etc. will never work on excite.

> Anyway, that's my two cents.
makes 4

cu
*PIKE*